Bought a 1989 Toyota Dolphin micro-mini motorhome without knowing much about motorhomes in general (my first mistake) and then when I discovered extensive water damage I decided to try and fix some of it (my second mistake). Pictures and blogs that others posted when they were doing rebuilds was very helpful to me, so I figured that blogging about it may be helpful to someone else.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Glueing Walls Together


This is a contraption that I built to help press clamp the walls together while the glue dried. After the walls were framed, I used the "blue board" polystyrene from Home Depot and luan to create a wall sandwich.

(1/8" luan is difficult to find. You won't find it at Lowe's or Home Depot, and even most RV shops don't have it. I finally found some at a mobile home supply shop.)

The contraption you see is basically strips of 3/4" pine (1x3's cut in half) screwed to 2x4s on 3" centers (to match against the grooves in the fiberglass). I used 5/16 all-thread bolts to go through the window and tighten against some other 2x4s against the inside wall. Once the glue dried, the walls became quite firm and appear to be quite strong. "Synergy," indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment